Monday, December 7, 2009

Gluten free Poultry Stuffing

The holidays are here and we have had one turkey and will be having number 2 on Christmas. My family loves stuffing. It is their favorite part of a turkey dinner. I think part of the reason is that it is the traditional stuffing my mother made when I was a kid, only adjusted for the diet. The most difficult part is that I make the pork sausage from scratch because we have been able to find an aceptable gluten free alternative that tastes right for this application.
For the sausage
1 1/2 lb. organic ground pork
organic palm oil
Bell's poultry seasoning
I use the meat grinder attachment for my Kitchenaid mixer to grind together the ground pork with about 25% by volume palm oil, adding poultry seasoning until it is a universal light grey color smelling faintly of sage. I usually have to run it through the grinder twice to accomplish this. The original recipe I followed was from The Joy of Cooking and called for lard. Since I was unable to find organic lard, and lard was just horrid to work with and clean up, I tried palm oil this year and it worked out fine.
Gluten free Poultry Stuffing
1 1/2-2 lb GF sagey pork sausage
1 small loaf white gf bread (about 2/3 a loaf of our no-fail gf bread, or 1 loaf Kinnikkinnik white)
1 small loaf brown gf bread ( 1 loaf Washburn and Butts brown or 1 loaf Kinnikkinnik brown)
1 large onion or 2 small onions chopped
2 eggs
2 cups chicken or turkey broth
salt
pepper
Bell's poultry seasoning
The bread works best if it is stale, but you can cube the bread and dry it in a 250 oven for 40 minuts, turning halfway through. After the bread is cubed and ready, mix bread, eggs, sausage , and onion together. Add about 1-2 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper and enough poultry seasoning so that the stuffing smells sagey. Knead it all together using enough broth warmed in the microwave to get a good sticky texture. The goal is for the cubes to maintain some structural integrity. You are not looking for a paste. You can stuff it in your bird to cook, or put in a baking pan in a 350 oven, pouring the rest of the broth over the top, covering with foil and baking for 1-1 1/2hours until done, adding broth as needed to keep it moist. My kids love this with lots of cranberry sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment